Thursday, May 21, 2009

An Inner Game of Confidence

What is the first game? What is it's second name?
The Friendly Game & The Confidence Game
When I groomed Diesel yesterday it really put those two things into perspective. I realized that all my grooming was a desensitization and he was getting really good with it. I was also able to pick out Diesel's front feet, sand them off, and his back left and sand that one off too. Then we worked with picking up his back right. It wasn't terrible, he didn't kick at all (I don't think he's a kicker) and I was able to hold it with my hands for a few seconds. When I go to pick it up he always takes a step back, so I have to friendly it more. Desensitization! =-D
I could see his wheels turning the entire time. He was licking and chewing and was really getting into the concept. I remember my mom saying, "Cookies don't work for him, they make him too *she shakes her hands* crazy." I smile now because that is so true. This RBI doesn't need cookies. He needs a release. That why I feel so good about taking him on. He needs a Level 3 student. Colt starting is a Level 4 and beyond endeavour, and he is pretty close to the term 'colt starting.' He's small, and hasn't been handled for a year, maybe more...
I felt like yesterday we really bonded. I understood him, and in return he understood me. We were on the same page, just turning them one step at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Diesel sounds like a HUGE challenge! But challenges are good... Sort of like if you do a stretch but don't hold it but you still think you "stretched", you need a challenge to awaken yourself and deepen your understanding of horses and horse psychology. I thought I knew it ALL when I was in SC and teacher's pet. I could get all the horses to listen but they weren't TRUE challenges. But when I moved on to my own property and EVERYTHING fell apart I learned I wasn't as good as I thought I was and well I had a WHOLE lot to learn. Well enough of my idk Lecture? Reminder? Life?

    ~Lauren, Sonny, and Red~

    ReplyDelete